Latest News :: Poison Control :: Local Boulder Resources :: Nutrition :: Allergies :: Supplements :: Recalls :: Medical :: Dental :: Holistic & Natural :: General Parenting :: Just for Dads :: Mindful Parenting :: Vaccines :: Yoga :: Products :: Safety :: Referals :: Gluten Free Restaurants :: CPR :: Early Interventions
- Latest Flu Facts - Click Here for more info.
Leading Dr.: Vaccines-Autism Worth Study: CBS News Exclusive: Former Head Of NIH Says Government Too Quick To Dismiss Possible Link :: Click Here for more info.
- Sids like syndrome linked to low serotonin in newborn mice :: Click Here for more info.
- Are you kidding me? Check out this article regarding the use of cholesterol lowering drugs in children from the New York Times ::Click Here for more info.
Read Dr. Roy's quote in the Dailycamera regarding vaccines :: Click Here for more info.
- Rocky Mountain Poison and Drug Center - If you have an accidental poison or drug exposure and it is a life threatening emergency call 911. Otherwise call (800) 222-1222 or visit their :: Web site
Local Boulder Resources:
- Bellies Birth and Babies - An amazing resource for both expectant mothers and families :: Web Site
- Becoming Mothers - Maternity Apparel and Breastfeeding Specialist :: Web Site
- The Changing Table - Cloth Diaper Service :: Web Site
- Pharmaca Integrative Pharmacy - Combining both pharmaceutical and natural medicine. Knowledgeable staff :: Web Site
- Moxie Moms :: Web Site
- Nit Squad- private, in-home, non-toxic lice treatment, 720-515-5423 :: Web Site
- Whole Nourishment - Debbie Sarfati is a fanastic local Boulder Nutritionist :: Web Site
- Breastfeeding Links - thanks to Stephanie Moore from becoming mothers
- Organic Baby Formula
- NonToxic Baby Bottles - Plastics that contain the numbers 3,6 and 7 may be harmful. 1,2,4,5 are thought to be safer. Glass is a good alternative. Replace plastic nipples with clear silicone.
- Fish and Mercury :: Web Site
- Nutritional Books/DVD’s
- The New Breastfeeding Diet Plan - Robert Roundtree, MD
- Disease Proof Your Child - Joel Fuhrman, MD
- Eat Drink And Be Healthy - Walter Willett, MD
- Supperimmunity for Kids - Leo Galland, M.D.
- Dealing With Food Allergies in Babies and Children - Janice Vickerstaff Joneja, PhD,RD
- Digestive Wellness for Children - Elizabeth Lipski, PhD,CCN
- The future of Food, a film by Deborah Koons Garcia about the frightening trend of genetically modified foods.:: Web Site
- "Agave: What will we think of next?" click here for more info.
- Boulder Allergy Kids is a support and playgroup for children with severe food allergies :: Web Site
- Allergy Kids – A resource for families with children with food allergies :: Web Site
- Allergy Stickers - Stickers for allergic children :: Web Site
- Essential Fatty Acids (omega 3’s): These are fats we get only through diet, and are necessary for normal health. They are found in every cell in our bodies, and are a vital component of our immune system, skin, and nervous system.
- Probiotics: Are helpful bacteria that promote gut, immune, and neurological health to name a few. We have more bacteria in our gut than cells in our body, and some classify these bacteria as an actual organ. They are absolutely essential for good health, and I recommend them to most people. They are also very safe.
- Choosing a Children’s Multivitamin:
- For many children this may be the best way to insure optimal nutrition.
- No clear cut recommendations are given for children.
- Best given after food. Improves absorption and reduces abdominal discomfort.
- Little or no Vitamin A. Our bodies make plenty of vitamin A from carotenes found in fruits and veggies. (Dark green, yellow, and orange vegetables)
- Less than 2500 IU of beta carotene. May increase cancer and heart disease in high doses.
- Full range of minerals
- No artificial color, flavor or sweeteners.
- Must taste good.
- More is not necessarily better. Fat soluble vitamins A, D, E, K are toxic in high doses.
- You must look at all your children’s supplements and add up the amounts. Ie. Cod liver oil may have large amounts of vitamin A.
- Here are some welll respected supplement companies:
- Pharmax - Probiotics, Essential Fatty Acids & multivitamin. Can be found at Pharmaca and Mindful Pediatrics
- Nordic Naturals- Essential Fatty Acids (omega 3’s) & multivitamin :: Web site
- Jarrow - Probiotics :: Web Site
- Udo’s – Probiotics & Essential Fatty Acids (omega 3's) :: Web Site
- Dr Fuhrman - Probiotics, Essential Fatty Acids & multivitamin :: Web Site
- Metagenics- Probiotics, Essential Fatty Acids & multivitamin ::Web site
- Gaia Herbs – children’s line formulated by Mary Bove ND :: Web Site
- Herbs For Kids :: Web Site
- Wishgarden Herbs – a local company :: Web Site
- Recall - Hylands Teething Tablets: Please click Here for more info.
- Similac Powdered Infant Formula Recall: Please click Here for more information.
- Recall - Nap Nanny: Please click here to read article.
- Crib recall - 2 million cribs recalled by 7 companies, Evenflo, Delta, Simmons, Child Craft: The CPSC cites suffocation, a baby becoming trapped or falling from the recalled cribs as a cause for the massive crib recall. Please click here to read more.
- McNeil Product Recall: Children's and Infant Tylenol, Motrin, Zyrtec and Benadryl. Click here for more information.
- AAP Toy Safety Resources :: Web Site
- Online Forum for US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) Subscription Lists.:: Web Site
- The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP):: Web Site
- The Institute of Functional Medicine:: Web Site
- Young Dentistry For Children - This is where I bring my children:: Web Site
- Niwot Dental - Dr Adam Saeks, DDS is my personal dentist :: Web Site
Holistic and Natural Medicine for Children:
- An Encyclopedia of Natural Healing for Children and Infants - Mary Bove, N.D.
- Smart Medicine For a Healthier Child - Janet Zand, ND,Lac and Robert Roundtree, MD
- Healthy Child, Whole Child - Staurt H. Ditchek MD and Russell H. Greenfield MD
- The Holistic Pediatrician - Kathi J. Kemper, MD, MPH
- Touchpoints - An excellent book on child development and what to expect. - T.Berry Brazelton, MD
- Parenting With Love and Logic - A reasonable approach to discipline. - Foster Cline, MD and Jim Fay :: Web Site
- The Happiest Baby On The Block How to sooth a crying baby - I prefer the DVD. - Harvey Karp, MD :: Web Site
- The Happiest Toddler On The Block - This DVD helps you understand toddlers. Harvey Karp, MD :: Web Site
- Raising Baby Green The earth friendly Guide to Pregnancy, Childbirth and Baby Care - Alan Greene, MD :: Web Site
- Off Limits: A Parent's Guide to Keeping Kids Safe from Sexual Abuse :: Web Site
Just for Dads:
These sites do not represent my opinion, and are presented here to show several sides of this ongoing issue.
- Center For Disease Control and Prevention :: Web Site
- Dr. Sherry Tenpenny, DO - She is an Osteopathic Medical Doctor. Though I don’t agree with everything she says, she does present some interesting information.:: Web Site
- The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) Red Book Online - An excellent source used by most pediatricians.:: Web Site
- Dr. Bob Sears "The Vaccine Book" - Good information to help you make up your own mind :: Web Site
Vaccine Manufacturers that Mindful Pediatrics orders from:
Mindful Pediatrics only uses the safest available vaccines. All of the vaccines I order are thimerisol or mercury free. Most are preservative free. You can view disease information and the package inserts, which are full of interesting information.
- Sanofi Pastuer – DtaP, Polio, Meningitis, and Flu :: Web Site
- Merck – MMR, Hepatitis B, Hib, Chicken Pox, Hepatitis A :: Web Site
- Wyeth Prevnar – Pneumococcal :: Web Site
Yoga for Kids:
- Organic Mattresses – Newborns spend as much as 18 hours a day in their beds. These products are expensive, but well worth the cost.
- Colorado Childproofers - Local company :: Web Site
- 2008 Travel from our friends at the CDC :: CDC Statement
- Childhood Lead Poisoning: Exposure and Prevention :: PDF
- Car Seat Guru Bill Flinchbugh :: Web Stie
- Feather Berkower, LCSW :: Web Site Workshops on empowering adults to keep children safe from sexual abuse.
- Rocky Mountain Children's Hospital :: Website
- Presbyterian / St. Lukes Medical Center :: Website
- Stillpoint Therapies - David Bergstein, CN, DOMT is an amazing Osteopathic doctor :: Web Site
Gluten Free Restaurants:
- Colterra Food and Wine - "Colterra serves up a delicate mix of Southern French and Northern Italian cuisine featuring the best local ingredients, in peak season and in full flavor." :: www. colterra.com
- American Red Cross - Infant/Child and Adult CPR and First Aid classes. Classes offered by: CPR Boulder Style. For class schedules and times visit www.cprboulderstyle.com or call (720) 276-9985.
- Early intervention Colorado: Please click Here for more info.